Part 3, "Light from the Mountain" is up


Here is another sample of the pencil work. I scan them into my computer and touch-up the pencil work using black & white digital painting. When drawing I like to use one of those blending stumps on the pencil. Some artists discourage this and prefer to use the technique of cross hatching instead - that way you see all the pencil strokes. I guess I understand what they mean. Looking at this piece here, the pencil strokes in the prayer shawl are more interesting to see than the smudged shadows of the robe. (Click on picture to enlarge). Anyway, I think I like this pencil work of Christ better than the colored one in the comic. The eyes seem more piercing, or something.

I should point out that I use photos from the public domain to derive at the pictures of the "kingdoms" in Part 3. I apply effects/filters to the photos in an effort to integrate it with the pencil work (did this for the sheep as well). As a reminder, I also used photos as a foundation to make the desert from part 1 (but the process in part 1 was more involved - additional painting to the photo, etc.; and the same approach was used to make the mountains in Part 3). Also, I used photos of miniature models in all three parts, especially in the art of the Holy City in Part 2.

I take this approach because I like drawing people, but find backgrounds boring. But I like to take photos of things. So, I try to integrate the two. And, I suppose this process helps me overcome some...artistic inadequacies.

No comments: