Additional details on the art method of Tempt the Messiah - more than just a Jesus comic...

People have been interested in greater details in the art method. So, I have prepared a group of images that explains things better. These samples are from part 4 (about John the Baptist and the Baptism of Christ). I am working on this part now. This work you see here is unfinished and discarded - I changed how I wanted John the Baptist to look, as well as my plans on how to present the story. That is a photo of me dressed as the discarded version of John. So, I am merely using this to show the art method.

First, I took a photo. Then I printed the photo on graph paper and drew the image on blank graph paper. I used the grid drawing approach for the pencil work (you should be able to see the yellow lines in the graph paper, as well as my numbering - click the picture to enlarge). Then I did touch-up to the pencil work with black&white painting in my art program (Corel Paint). Finally, I paint it in color layers. The paint layers are above and below the pencil layer. Most of 'Tempt the Messiah' was done using this approach. But I don't use graph paper anymore.  Instead, I adopted a similar method but use a T-square instead of the graph paper. I sometimes give more technical details to people that ask at the art forums I frequent (I did not want to bore the casual reader with all that information).

3 comments:

Viktor said...

hi greg:). nice to see the larger format. i like to see the progress, that you use in your art. cool that you draw without the grid now. that makes your art even more valuably.

thank you for intereats about Fingerprints:).

be blest on your way of spiritual art!

your brother in christ

viktor

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice to see the progress... and I think it looks really nice!

Bible artist said...

Hi Greg
Really nice stuff!
I will definitely be adding you to the 'Bible Artist list' at
http://bibleillustration.blogspot.com
Yes we must keep in contact.
I've been trying to get hold of photos of people in Bible clothing to display on:
www.bibleartist.com
If you have any that you wouldn't mind sharing with the Bible artist community, that would be great! I'll make sure that the photos contain a © notice and a link to your blog.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Where are you based?
God bless
Graham