Method to the art of Tempt the Messiah




Here is a photo of my folder of pencil drawings. That is a pencil drawing of me at the bottom on the left hand side, looking up from reading my Bible. (Click on photo to enlarge).

People have asked about my method. So I will give a few brief details. For this project, I used photos to draw all the pictures (some would say copy). My prefered way is to print the photo out on graph paper. Then duplicate it on blank graph paper in pencil (lines of the graph paper are yellow - you can barley see them in the photo above). Sometimes, I just trace the outlines and then draw in the rest. But the graph paper approach is better. I think that it helps me be precise, yet I am training myself to master the use of a pencil. Then, I scan my pencil work of the characters into the computer and color/paint them with an art program. Professional artists have pointed out to me that there are drawbacks in this approach, but it is the only way I can do something like this. From my perspective, I have overcome my shortcomings in artistic ability through innovation and determination.

The backgrounds usually have a photo foundation. There are no deserts here in Georgia, so I made one out of photos. I use my art program and edit out the things that should not be in the desert - trees, fences, power lines, vehicles, weeds, trash, etc. I paint whatever is needed on the photo - more ground, stones, mountains, horizon, etc. Then I adjust the color and texture, paint a sky, and integrate everything with the pencil drawing. Also, I like to use miniature models of things. I made the "Devil tree" out of a root (about 10 inches tall) that I dug up from the ground. I use miniature models a lot in part 2 of Tempt the Messiah, which I will post to the web page soon.

Again, I would like to thank all the artists out there that have helped me by giving me meaningful feedback at the forum.

4 comments:

Sin Nomine said...

Which version of the bible do you use for text reference? As I am currently doing my Ancient Hebrew bible-reading course at university, I would be really interested in what version you use (I guess you take your text from one of the later translations...).

Just curious.

Horseman said...

The King James Version of the Bible, or Authorized Version, published in 1611. The New Testament of the King James Version was translated from the Received Text (Textus Receptus). The Old Testament of the King James Version is translated from the Masoretic Hebrew Text. I use it because it is without copyright, and I think it is poetic.

Behrooz 'Bezman' Shahriari said...

King James' version has some intentional errors in that book and it's a dangerous thing to be basing your life on.

The New World translation seems to attempt some faithfulness to the original texts...

Behrooz 'Bezman' Shahriari said...

King James' version has some intentional errors in that book and it's a dangerous thing to be basing your life on.

The New World translation seems to attempt some faithfulness to the original texts...